April 4, 2007

Dominican Driving

I just got back from Santo Domingo after picking up my renewed passport (yes, it’s been ten years this June since I went to Mexico for Spanish immersion to start vicar year). The four hour round trip allows a lot of time to experience Dominican traffic. On this trip I saw:

  • A truck that veered too far to the right and fell sideways into the open trench (deep and wide for heavy tropical rains). He lost most of his load of 10-pound bags of rice.
  • A tractor-trailer that lost its trailer.
  • A semi-truck that went barreling too fast down hill and hit the back end of a delivery truck, forcing it off the road into the ditch.
  • A bull running loose on the freeway. (At least it was running with traffic, instead of against--and it observed the rule of "slower traffic keep right".)
  • Too many “stealth” vehicles to count. (I call them stealth because they belt out so much black smoke that you can’t see the vehicle until you’re right next to it.)

Just par for the course in daily Dominican driving. (For the record, I didn't see any injuries--by God's grace.)

And to top it off, upon checking my new passport for errors, I discovered that according to the American government, I am now female. That means I get to drive to the capital again to correct my passport and be a man again. :-) :-) :-)

The Lord is good as he watches over us and sends his angels to keep us safe.

The Lord bless you with his Peace,
NW

No comments:

Post a Comment